Qualifying for a Habitat Home
Habitat homes are built based on a partnership between a family and the community.
A qualifying family pays for their home with an affordable mortgage and through a down payment of 200 to 400 sweat-equity hours.
To qualify, applicants need three things:
A Need for Adequate Housing
- Lack of decent and safe living conditions as defined by the Habitat for Humanity housing evaluation criteria.
- Overcrowded housing conditions.
- Excessive home rental expense. A family should not have to spend more than 30% of their income for housing, not including utilities.
- Applicants must have incomes that are too low to enable them to secure conventional financing from a traditional lending institution.
An Ability to Pay
- The gross annual household income may not exceed 78% of the Maricopa and Pinal County area median income. The median income figure varies depending on the size of the family.
- Two-year history of stable income
- Monthly long-term debt payments, including estimated mortgage payment, should not exceed 43% of a family’s income.
- An acceptable history of credit.
- Ability to cover closing costs (approximately $3,500).
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. This applies to all household members.
A Willingness to Partner with Habitat
- Be willing to contribute 200-400 hours of sweat equity towards the building or renovating of Habitat homes (special accommodations may be made available upon request).
- Be willing to live in the neighborhood in which Habitat is currently building and follow city and subdivision regulations.
- Be willing to be a participating member of the Homeowner’s Association (if applicable).
- Attend mandatory workshops for success in homeownership.
Interested in homeownership?
You will be required to upload the following documents when submitting your online application:
- Picture ID or Driver’s License for anyone over 18 years of age.
- Proof of residency (Birth Certificates, Green Cards, Citizenship form, or US Passport) for everyone in the household.
- Social Security Cards for everyone in the household.
- Last 3 month of paystubs for everyone who is employed in the household.
- Last 2 years of SIGNED Federal Income Tax Returns with all W2’s for everyone in the household.
- Proof of any additional income (SSI Award letter, Child Support order, etc.) for the last 2 years.
- If applicable, Divorce Decree.
- A non-refundable $50.00 application fee per individual applicant or married couple (fee waived for military applicants).
How do I Learn More?
To find out more about the homeownership program or to find out if you qualify, speak with a member of the Family Services team:
2830 W Glendale Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85051